The National Office of The ALS Association is recruiting for a full-time Accounting Associate. Reporting directly to the Vice President, Finance, the Accounting Associate’s role will be to serve as an integral part of the Finance Department in providing accurate, timely, and meaningful financial data to management, as well as participating in the overall effectiveness of the department. This position will be based in the Association’s new headquarters in Rosslyn, VA.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Maintain integrity of the Organization’s Cash Receipts process for input into Organization’s Financial Database including but not limited to:
- Prepare and process daily bank deposits
- Coding and data entering finance batches into Blackbaud’s Financial Edge.
- Transfer funds from Amazon Payments and PayPal to bank operating account
- Updates recurring donations received online through website
- Maintain daily Cash Position Spreadsheet
- Process credit card transactions
- Post receipts and adjusting entries to database as required for RE and accounting software Financial Edge (FE) for financial statement preparation
- Review final postings to General Ledger
- Make recommendations to Staff Accountant for improvement to overall cash receipt processing
Maintain integrity of the Accounts Payable process including but not limited to:
- Determines proper coding of invoices submitted for payment as well as mathematical computation
- Entering approved invoices into accounts payable system and then post to general ledger for final posting to Financial Statements
- Determines vendor invoices for weekly payment processing after reviewing cash position with Staff Accountant
- Selects final invoices for payments, runs check via accounts payable system, and submits to management for signature
- Reviews IRS regulations for IRS Form W-9 to insure organization’s compliance including recordkeeping and regular verification follow ups
- Prepare Year End 1099 as required by IRS regulations for distribution to vendors and filing 1096 with IRS
- Verify vendor statements for accuracy and follow up on any inconsistencies
- Maintains the Accounts Payable filing system
Responsible for Accounts Receivable process including:
- Adding/updating product billing items
- Creating invoices received from information provided by various departments
- Printing and mailing invoices
- Prepares deposit for application of payments into AR with subsequent recording into the General Ledger.
Responsible for Grants Management Software including:
- Verification of data entry by the Research department
- Verification of check run selection by Research department
- Process payments from GE into FE for Accounts Payable weekly check runs
- Running and reviewing reports for accuracy
- Data integrity
Other Job Functions, including but not limited to:
- Assist in monthly general ledger subsidiary account reconciliations
- Assist with annual independent Audit
- Assist with preparation of IRS 990
- Assist department with streamlining operations to function more accurately and efficiently
- Convey a professional and positive image that reflects favorably on The ALS Association.
- A four-year degree in accounting required or the equivalent in education and work experience.
- Minimum of three years general accounting experience.
- A solid understanding of general accepted accounting principles.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Prior hands-on experience with accounting software – Blackbaud Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge & Granted GE a plus
- Excellent computer skills with emphasis on Excel, Word, Microsoft Office
- Organized, self-motivated, detail oriented, resourceful.
- The ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure with competing demands and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The ALS Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity