The National Kidney Foundation’s (NKF) Government Relations department advances the organization’s public policy agenda to support patients living with chronic kidney disease, organ transplant recipients, living organ donors and their families, health care professionals, and the one in three American adults at risk for kidney disease.
In collaboration with the Director of Grassroots Advocacy and other Government Relations team members, the Advocacy Manager will (1) advance NKF’s kidney health agenda with public decision makers at all levels; (2) help to develop and manage advocacy communications; (3) implement a grassroots and grasstops strategy at the federal and state levels; and (4) conduct policy research and analysis as needed.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Works with and reports to Director of Grassroots Advocacy to execute a strategic vision that increases the number of grassroots and grasstops advocates and deepens advocacy engagement among existing advocates leading to increased direct communications from the kidney community to policymakers at all levels.
- Collaborates with state-based, field, and NKF affiliate staff to advance and win state legislative and kidney policy campaigns.
- Coordinates and executes activities related to annual Kidney Patient Summit and contributes to summit’s strategic direction.
- Participates in meetings with congressional staff and other public policy meetings as needed as the organization works to further integrate kidney health professionals into overall advocacy efforts.
- Coordinates drafting and distribution of NKF’s advocacy Action Alerts.
- Works with NKF marketing and communications staff to promote advocacy and public policy activities through internal and external communications channels.
- Helps maintain NKF advocacy brand designed to facilitate acquisition and development of new advocates and increase engagement among existing advocates.
- Proposes, develops, and implements advocacy strategies for NKF’s patient-based Kidney Advocacy Committee and professional-based Kidney Outreach Team
- Identifies and cultivates opportunities for advocacy-based collaboration with other patient and professional organizations.
- Maintains and updates NKF’s digital advocacy resources.
- Perform additional duties, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in in political science or public administration is preferred.
- Strong interest in health issues and public policy.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience in government relations at the local, state or federal level, preferably within a health-related field, and with a strong understanding of the legislative process.
- Understanding of best practices in grassroots advocacy and engagement, with a strong focus on digital strategies and tactics.
- Experience with web-based writing and developing digital content including but not limited to video, infographics, GIFs, and other educational materials.
- Skilled in preparing, reviewing and editing correspondence, reports, presentations and other assigned documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.