Beyond Celiac is recruiting an innovative, experienced scientific thought leader to collaborate across diverse disciplines as the organization’s Chief Scientific Officer (CSO). The CSO is a key position that will play an instrumental role in championing a new future for celiac disease patients by driving innovation toward effective treatments and a cure. This is a unique opportunity to advance the work of Beyond Celiac in funding key celiac disease research, collecting valuable insights from patients to accelerate treatments and a cure, and continuing to build significant relationships with international thought leaders and influencers. Importantly, the CSO will focus on achieving the organization’s mission for accelerating improved disease management and treatment. This thought leader must be eager to work in a collaborative, dynamic and agile environment and be dedicated to furthering clinically relevant research and serving as a catalyst to accelerate commercialization of treatments for celiac disease. The CSO will have the opportunity to collaborate with the organization’s distinguished and multi-stakeholder Board of Directors, a ground-breaking Scientific Advisory Council, the Medical Advisory Council and other key personnel and external resources.
The CSO reports directly to the Beyond Celiac CEO and has responsibility for leading the development and implementation of a transformational, patient-centered research agenda, focusing on accelerating solutions towards new pharmaceutical treatments and a cure for celiac disease. To achieve this vision, Beyond Celiac emphasizes engagement of key stakeholders including those directly affected by celiac disease, in all aspects of the research process, including the identification and prioritization of research investment.
Beyond Celiac has built and implemented Go Beyond Celiac, a unique online initiative that collects patient-reported data focused on capturing, organizing and measuring disease cost and burden and on defining paths to therapies and cures. The CSO will chair the Beyond Celiac Scientific Advisory Council (SAC), oversee the development of the Go Beyond Celiac data program in conjunction with the Director of Research and Patient Engagement, and develop a strategic science plan that focuses on establishing research funding priorities. The CSO may work closely with research partners, scientific and medical advisors, consultants, experts in patient-reported outcomes (PROs), other thought leaders and key staff to advance this work, including publishing and presenting findings. Specifically, the CSO will spearhead the promotion and implementation of the Beyond Celiac research and scientific investment agenda, with primary responsibility for developing and establishing research and funding priorities. The position will work collaboratively to refine the research agenda over time in response to lessons learned, patients’ needs, the celiac disease landscape and input from key stakeholders. This includes establishing and executing Beyond Celiac processes and policies for engaging external stakeholders in the research enterprise, including the organization’s funding of research-focused grants. The CSO will oversee research grants and continue the grant-funding structure and processes in place.
The CSO will share learnings from the research externally and internally funded and/or facilitated by Beyond Celiac. This will include representing the needs of the patient community to key pharmaceutical, regulatory, and other stakeholders. The successful CSO candidate will need to display non-traditional thinking and employ a multidisciplinary approach to driving rapid acceleration of progress in the area of celiac disease treatment. They will represent Beyond Celiac at scientific meetings and must have high credibility in addressing
other scientists, researchers, donors and others. The position is available immediately. The position may be available on a part-time basis for the right candidate. Remote work is acceptable based on the needs of the individual candidate and of Beyond Celiac.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Lead the Beyond Celiac Scientific Advisory Council in developing, expanding, implementing, and evaluating the international priorities for the organization’s research agenda
- Lead the Scientific Advisory Council in evaluating Beyond Celiac funding priorities and opportunities, including partnerships and novel research ideas
- Lead the process to evaluate and recommend celiac disease research investments that accelerate investigations into the discovery of new treatments and a cure; this work will include evaluating the effectiveness of these investments based on established metrics and reporting the results to the CEO and Board of Directors
- Develop and establish other research priorities, with an emphasis on clinical research relevant to the needs of patients with celiac disease and with consideration of the data collected in Go Beyond Celiac
- Together with other members of the Beyond Celiac leadership team, engage in dialogue with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), FDA, and other federal funding agencies and foundations to elevate the profile and priority level of celiac disease and associated funding
- In conjunction with the CEO and Development Department, meet with major funders and donors to help secure transformational gifts
- Supervise and work with the Director of Research and Patient Engagement to oversee clinical trial recruitment efforts and develop and maintain relationships with biopharmaceutical companies
- Develop and implement annual operating plans for the Beyond Celiac research agenda consistent with the organization’s strategic plan
- Convene and participate in Beyond Celiac-sponsored meetings of clinicians, scientists, patients and other key stakeholders
- Collaborate with the Director of Research and Patient Engagement to develop and implement a publications strategy
- Participate in national dialogues on celiac disease research through presentations and contributions to peer-reviewed scientific literature, serving as a key catalyst to accelerate development and commercialization of effective treatments
- Work with the Director of Research and Patient Engagement and other key staff members and consultants to identify and apply for relevant outside funding
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Measurement and evaluation are critical to the advancement of celiac disease, and the criteria for evaluation will be determined by the CSO and the CEO on an annual basis.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Researcher with doctoral and post-doctoral level training in and familiarity with biological, molecular, clinical and/or translational research principles
- Experience with patient care, biotechnology, pharmaceutical and/or diagnostics industries strongly preferred
- Proven leader with experience building and executing a successful research program, as well as building and nurturing relationships with medical and scientific influencers
- Experienced in working with patients, families and innovators to demonstrate how an improved understanding of a disease at the molecular basis and putting the patient first can lead to new therapies
- Consistent publication record in peer-reviewed journals preferred
- Experience with celiac disease
- Knowledge of therapeutic indications in celiac disease
- Training and experience in immunology research
- Experience working with patients and/ or families as partners in research
- Ability to think broadly about the science of celiac disease
- Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated effective interpersonal skills and ability to communicate technical topics to a lay audience
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to draw insights and derive viable strategic options that offer opportunities to align across multiple stakeholders
- Excellent relationship management skills, with a strong record of developing and maintaining successful relationships with key opinion leaders and investigators
- Strong public presentation skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Results-oriented, with a demonstrated ability to regularly exceed goals and deliver initiatives on time and on budget
- Excellent judgmental and decision-making capabilities
- Strong process/project management skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Strong results-driven personality with a high level of enthusiasm and energy
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and innovative start-up-like environment
Compensation will be competitive and consist of a base salary and, as appropriate, an incentive bonus.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply for this position by sending a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to [email protected] Please put the job title in the subject line of your email and indicate how you learned of this job opening.
Beyond Celiac is an equal opportunity employer.
ABOUT BEYOND CELIAC
Beyond Celiac is a 501c3 organization and has been the leading patient advocate and research-driven celiac disease organization working to drive diagnosis, advance research and accelerate the discovery of new treatments and a cure for more than 15 years. By engaging with the top scientists in the field, awarding research grants, and supporting the community, Beyond Celiac envisions a world in which people with celiac disease can live healthy lives and eat without fear – a world Beyond Celiac. Beyond Celiac serves the 21 million Americans requiring a gluten-free diet as the only treatment for celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity (‘gluten sensitivity’). While awareness of celiac disease is higher than ever, people living with this genetic autoimmune condition struggle to be taken seriously. Beyond Celiac works to address this need by serving as the bridge between the community and the researchers with the capability to address these challenges through their expert work. We believe in a patient-centered healthcare model that is grounded in science, promotes collaboration and supports a comprehensive approach to health and wellness. We focus on three strategic pillars: Awareness & Community Engagement, Celiac Disease Science and Sustainability.
To learn more, please visit our website at BeyondCeliac.org.