The National Kidney Foundation is the leading organization in the U.S. dedicated to the awareness, prevention and treatment of kidney disease for hundreds of thousands of healthcare professionals, millions of patients and their families and tens of millions of Americans at risk.
The Director, Congressional Relations develops, directs and implements multi-faceted strategies to advance the National Kidney Foundation’s legislative and policy priorities. The Director, Congressional Relations is a key strategist in furthering the goals of NKF, positioning NKF as the premier voice for people with kidney disease and their families and increasing the influence of NKF and its members on priority policy issues.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- In coordination with the Senior Vice President, Government Relations, identifies NKF’s legislative priorities, works with contract lobbyists on specific policy directions and lobbying strategies, and works with other stakeholders to advance NKF’s policy agenda.
- Serves as NKF’s primary representative on legislative matters to internal and external constituencies:
- Cultivates and maintains NKF’s presence on Capitol Hill, directly engages with Members of Congress, relevant Congressional committees of jurisdiction, and key policy makers and their staff.
- Develops appropriate messaging and develops a comprehensive strategy to support NKF’s legislative agenda, oversees congressionally targeted educational and advocacy advertising to further the NKF presence on the Hill and advance NKF’s legislative agenda.
- Maintains communication with leadership of the Congressional Kidney Caucus, helps build caucus membership, and identifies opportunities to address Kidney Disease priorities through Caucus-sponsored events.
- Prepares and submits written comments to Congressional committees and other federal policy officials relevant to the legislative perspective of kidney patients and their families.
- Oversees legislative analysis and the development of resources translating relevant legislative concepts and developments to NKF members.
- In coordination with the Director, Grassroots Advocacy, engages state leaders, members of the Kidney Advocacy Committee, kidney care professionals and NKF members in strategic advocacy efforts.
- Acts and appears on behalf of the Senior Vice President of Health Policy in her absence to audiences such as the Boards of Directors, stakeholder organizations and others, as necessary.
- Serves as a resource for NKF Divisions and Affiliates on state public policy activities.
- Performs additional duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Strong interest in health issues and public policy
- Seven to ten years of experience in government affairs, a thorough understanding of legislative processes, a proven track record of successful advocacy and legislative accomplishments, and current relationships with elected officials, Administration officials and policymakers
- Experience managing relationships with lobbyist and other consultants
- Experience working for a nonprofit healthcare organization is preferred
- Excellent writing, presentation and speaking skills, Strong communication skills, interpersonal skills, and strategic thinking
- Excellent organization, time management and customer services skills
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
Please apply via email with your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations:
Contact: [email protected]