Created by and for patient organizations more than 100 years ago, the National Health Council (NHC) brings diverse organizations together to forge consensus and drive patient-centered health policy. We promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care. Made up of more than 145 national health-related organizations and businesses, the NHC’s core membership includes the nation’s leading patient organizations. Other members include health-related associations and nonprofit organizations including the provider, research, and family caregiver communities; and businesses representing biopharmaceutical, device, diagnostic, generic drug, and payer organizations.
The Director of Health Equity will assist the NHC in driving its health equity agenda and programmatic efforts. The Director leads the health equity area within the Research and Programs portfolio and builds health equity as a core competency through collaboration with other NHC departments, the development of health equity related programs, and the creation of member-facing materials which promote health equity as a component of improving patient-centered health outcomes.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Serves as a health equity expert and works to meet requirements of current projects with health equity-related strategies or goals.
- Works with the Membership, Development, and Events team to build health equity resources to promote integration of health equity principles within member cultivation and member facing products.
- Works with Policy and Government Affairs to advise on legislative and regulatory changes which reduce health inequities and improve patient-centered outcomes.
- Works with Communications to fulfil internal requirements regarding website maintenance, media placements, blogs, newsletters, social media, and development of new materials.
- Contributes to and prepares presentations, issues briefs, position statements and other written materials pertinent to health equity.
- Develops and maintains relationships with health equity organizations and experts to advise and advance NHC priorities.
- Provides subject matter content and presentations on health equity to the wide variety of NHC stakeholder groups (board, members, general public etc.)
- Supports equity-informed data and evaluation of current NHC projects.
- Supports the overall growth goals of the organization by providing content expertise needed for funding proposals and contributing to proposals with a health equity lens.
- Serve as project lead on an assortment of NHC health equity initiatives.
- Represent the NHC in coalitions and other external meetings and conferences. Understand, demonstrate, and support the NHC’s mission and values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong background working with historically underrepresented racial/ethnic (HURE) groups, underserved populations, and versed in patient-centric issues related to diverse communities that experience disparities.
- Ability to effectively interact with professionals, executives, and patient advocates.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to make effective presentations.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills with the ability to provide leadership, direction, and supervision of programs.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office; experience with Microsoft SharePoint, and Zoom preferred
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment
- Self-motivated and ability to work proactively and independently when necessary
- Ability to troubleshoot and work well under pressure
Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (public health, health policy, health care administration, or related field) with 5 years of experience in diversity, equity or inclusion, or health equity OR Master’s Degree (public health, health policy, health care administration, or related field) with 3 years of experience in health equity.
Applicants should submit the following items to [email protected] with the subject “Director of Health Equity”:
- Cover Letter describing the applicant’s experience and interests in the NHC’s mission and priorities
- List of three references with name, title, organization, email address and telephone number
The NHC offers a competitive benefits package, including health, vision, and dental benefits with premiums fully paid by the organization.
The mission of the National Health Council is to provide a united voice for people with chronic diseases and disabilities.
Integrity – Patient Focused – Forward Thinking – Collaboration – Transparency – Diversity & Inclusion