AcademyHealth is hiring a Director to join our team! We offer hybrid/remote work arrangements, a collegial environment, challenging work that makes an impact, excellent benefits including, comprehensive medical and dental, professional development funds, tuition assistance, 403(b) contribution and match, paid leave, and competitive pay!
Us: The professional home and leading national organization for health services researchers (HSR), policymakers, and health care practitioners and stakeholders. AcademyHealth – together with its members and partners – increases the understanding of methods and data used in the field, enhances the professional skills of a vibrant and diverse community of researchers and research users, supports the implementation of evidence to improve policy and practice, and advocates for the use of evidence to improve health and health care for all. Our established priorities are: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Health Systems Improvement, Resilience and Capacity, and Science Innovation. Diversity is a core value at AcademyHealth. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for all.
You: A creative health systems improvement research leader with experience in providing direction and planning for new and existing programs that are consistent with our mission and strategic priorities. You are self-motivated, collaborative, innovative, with the ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with a diverse workforce (staff, external partners, and stakeholders), anticipate opportunities and challenges, and approach solutions strategically and creatively.
We believe that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills. As such, you do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position – applications are welcomed from a broad range of applicants.
How you’ll contribute:
In this role, you will help to drive the organization’s health systems improvement portfolio by 1) leading and supporting existing projects designed to catalyze discovery and equitable uptake of new knowledge, particularly in the areas of measurement, implementation science, and participatory action; and 2) conceiving, developing, and leading new programs that strengthen our relevance and impact in the health systems improvement ecosystem, particularly those organizations that reach traditionally excluded and underserved populations. This position may also contribute to other AcademyHealth projects spanning a broad range of federal and state policy issues including health care structure and finance, advancing equity, and science innovation.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in both multi-level and multi-sector health system contexts to improve service delivery and health outcomes.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Directly responsible for oversight of learning collaboratives, training/technical assistance programs, and health services and policy research translation initiatives.
- Build bridges between communities, researchers, providers, and federal and state policymakers to advance evidence-based, community-centered policy and practice.
- Lead and contribute to the growth of a diverse portfolio of extramural contracts, grants, strategic alliances as well as program activities with focus on health systems improvement, which includes developing and monitoring project budgets, defining the scope of work and timelines for each, and allocating appropriate staffing.
- Direct and manage multi-functional, cross-departmental programs and/or project teams; work with project staff to create, review, and evaluate project plans and objectives; track and report progress relative to timelines and budgets; and ensure quality control over all deliverables.
- Identify, cultivate, and maintain relationships with various external stakeholders and partners, current and potential funders, individual members, and organizational affiliates, including identifying and securing strategic opportunities for collaboration with the public and private sectors to advance the organization’s health systems improvement portfolio.
- Represent the organization in speaking engagements, discussions and relationship development with external partners or clients and support new, existing, and diverse business connections on topics relevant to health systems improvement.
- Collaborate with other senior staff to contribute to AcademyHealth’s business development strategy, including assessing current business plans / processes and identifying potential business opportunities and partnerships with new and/or existing funders/partners to ensure the organization has a robust and diversified funding base.
- Provide thought leadership and collaborate with other senior staff to develop and implement initiatives to support the strategic goals of the organization, including the creation of performance metrics and targets.
- Master’s degree or higher in public health, health or public policy, or related field from accredited college or university or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Eight (8) or more years of substantive, professional experience relevant to implementation science or related field in either the private or public sectors.
- Thorough understanding of and/or specific work experience relevant to learning collaboratives, quality measurement, and evaluation, including the application of established frameworks (e.g., EPIS, CFIR, RE-AIM).
- Experience conducting qualitative and mixed methods analyses, and familiarity with participatory approaches (e.g., engaged research, CBPR, action research).
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Ability to demonstrate a diverse professional network including senior decision-makers and leaders in fields relevant to the role.
- Creative, entrepreneurial spirit and track record of building new programs and leading acquisitions of federal and/or foundation grants and contracts.
- Demonstrated project management experience, including an ability to efficiently plan, prioritize, and manage, multiple complex projects and/or programs simultaneously with limited direct supervision.
What you should know:
- AcademyHealth offers a collegial work environment, countless professional development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- AcademyHealth is a hybrid work environment, with options for remote and in office work.
- AcademyHealth requires all employees to be fully vaccinated to work in the office, unless entitled to an accommodation.
- Applicants outside the metropolitan DC area are encouraged to apply.
- We will be conducting our hiring process virtually and conducting interviews via phone or video. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions.
- A limited amount of travel to meetings is expected.
Qualified applicants should send a resume, writing sample, and three references (with emails) to Human Resources via email: [email protected]. Please be sure to reference the position for which you are applying. For more information, please go to www.academyhealth.org.
AcademyHealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer: AcademyHealth will provide all applicants for employment and all employees with an equal opportunity regardless of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, family responsibilities, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, or place of business or residence.