The Director, Transplant Policy and Strategy plays a critical role in developing, shaping, coordinating, and implementing NKF’s transplant policy initiatives. Under the leadership of the Senior Vice President of Government Relations, and in consultation with peers in the Government Relations Program and Scientific Operations departments, the incumbent will help chart and advance NKF’s mission to provide Transplants for All.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Work with SVP, Government Relations, SVP, Scientific Operations, and others to develop and refine NKF’s overarching transplant strategy with a focus on policy initiatives, programmatic activities, and scientific operations.
- Monitor, evaluate, and recommend action on all federal policy related to organ donation, procurement, transplantation, and post-transplant care, including payment policy, regulatory action, coverage issues, and other related policy.
- In coordination with Corporate Relations peers, conceive and implement strategy to collect, analyze, and report information about kidney patient opinions, behaviors, and priorities.
- Draft, advise and edit NKF position papers, letters, testimonies, stakeholder communications, and other policy pieces related to transplantation.
- In coordination with the Director, Health Policy, develop relationships with key federal agencies with jurisdiction over transplantation.
- Serve as primary point of contact with key transplant stakeholders, including transplant centers, transplant surgeons, organ procurement organizations, and other stakeholders.
- Serve as the primary staff liaison and coordinator of the Transplant Workgroup.
- In coordination with the Vice President, Programs, expand the scale, reach, and array of NKF’s programmatic activities.
- Perform additional duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Strong interest in health issues and public policy
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in government affairs, a thorough understanding of legislative processes, a proven track record of successful advocacy and legislative accomplishments, and current relationships with elected officials, Administration officials and policymakers
- Experience managing relationships with lobbyist and other consultants
- Experience working for a nonprofit healthcare organization is preferred
- Excellent writing, presentation and speaking skills, Strong communication skills, interpersonal skills, and strategic thinking
- Excellent organization, time management and customer services skills
- Proficient in MS Office applications.
It is the policy of NKF to provide equality of employment opportunity regardless of race, creed, color, qualified handicap or disability, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, age, gender, political affiliation or veteran status, or any other factor or reason prohibited by relevant local, state and federal fair employment laws.
The Equal Employment Opportunity policy will apply to all employment practices of NKF including, but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, layoffs, transfers and discipline. Implementation of the Equal Employment Opportunity policy is the shared responsibility of the management of NKF.