The American Kidney Fund (AKF) fights kidney disease on all fronts as the nation’s leading kidney nonprofit. AKF works on behalf of the 37 million Americans living with kidney disease, and the millions more at risk, with an unmatched scope of programs that support people wherever they are in their fight against kidney disease—from prevention through transplant. Headquartered in Rockville, Maryland, the organization’s annual budget is $343 million and it employs approximately 92 staff members.
With programs of prevention, early detection, financial support, disease management, clinical research, innovation and advocacy, no kidney organization impacts more lives than AKF. One out of every six people living with kidney failure cannot afford the cost of care, and AKF is there for them, providing lifesaving treatment-related financial assistance. AKF enables all people with kidney disease to live their healthiest lives through disease management education, award-winning public and professional health education materials, courses and webinars. AKF drives innovation through strategic partnerships and investment in clinical research to improve patient outcomes, and fights tirelessly for legislation and public policies to improve the lives of people living with kidney disease, including those with kidney transplants. AKF’s KidneyNation online fundraising community unites Americans in support of AKF’s mission.
The Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer (EVP & COO) will develop and implement AKF’s operational and financial management strategy and contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic and operational goals. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development, design, operation, and improvement of the systems and processes that support the creation and administration of AKF’s programs and services. The EVP & COO will direct financial and budget operations, information technology, administration, facilities, and human resources. The EVP & COO will orchestrate and integrate their team into a cohesive unit that is committed to the service of AKF.
The successful candidate will report to the President and Chief Executive Officer, serve as an integral member of the Executive Team, and as a business partner to the CEO. They will manage a team of 14 through four direct reports (Chief Financial Officer/Senior Director of Finance and Administration, Chief Information Officer/Sr. Dir. of IT, Director of Financial Analysis and the Senior Director of Human Resources). The position will be based in Rockville, Maryland.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Lead all areas of AKF administrative operations and provide strong leadership of the organization’s administrative functions and staff.
- Advise the CEO and other key members on all operational and policy matters.
- Contribute to the development of AKF’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization, and track results against strategic plan objectives.
- Manage day-to-day office oversight, maintaining quality controls across all AKF operations.
- Guide the organization in the elevation of its human resources division to a more strategic, analytical, forward-thinking function that fosters an inclusive culture and environment; promotes a culture of high performance, client service, and continuous improvement that values diversity, learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure that AKF develops and maintains a high performing work environment; ensure the development and implementation of HR policies, systems, programs and practices that will attract and retain the best workforce required to achieve the organization’s mission.
- Work closely with the CFO on the preparation and management of the annual budget of the organization, and represent the organization in its relationships with banks, investment advisors, accounting firms, insurers, lease broker, and major vendors.
- Represent the organization externally, as necessary, particularly in banking, investment and leasing negotiations.
- Partnering closely with the CFO, ensure that the organization maintains and regularly enhances an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Oversee the CFO in the accurate and timely completion of the annual independent audit and IRS form 990. Ensure annual internal audits of vendors, patient grant delivery and other areas of risk is completed.
- Ensure Finance is proactive in working with watchdog agencies to ensure optimal ratings and standings with these agencies; serve as point of contact for all review agencies.
- On an ongoing basis, assess financial funding requirements and projections related to patient assistance programs; make recommendations and oversee implementation of plans to ensure that adequate resources are obtained to support patient assistance programs.
- Coordinate work with the General Counsel to ensure AKF corporate compliance program is enhanced, tested and maintained and support General Counsel on legal matters.
- Provide advisory support for Executive Evaluation and Compensation, HIPP, Audit and Compliance, Board Development, and Finance Committees.
- Provide management and oversight of IT infrastructure to AKF employees and other constituents, including the development and maintenance of a long-term IT strategic plan and yearly operational plan.
- Supervise the management of all facility’s needs, including lease arrangements, office build-out and renovation, and other space utilization activities; ensure that AKF remote and virtual operations are efficacious and incorporate best practices.
- Provide proactive advice and recommendations for efficiency improvement, technology and infrastructure upgrades, expense management, and additional capital expenditures where appropriate.
- Maintain knowledge of regulations and laws affecting non-profit organizations and develop and implement policies to ensure that AKF is compliant.
- A minimum of 12 to 15 years of progressive non-profit finance, information technology, human resources and operations experience, preferably with at least 10 years of management experience directing large teams;
- An ability to “get behind” the numbers to advise management on financial and strategic issues combined with the ability to build a business case for technical decisions;
- Strong experience establishing and/or reengineering operational practices and processes to meet changing organizational needs;
- Extensive knowledge of nonprofit regulations and the landscape in which a nonprofit operates; basic understanding of regulatory compliance in a healthcare setting;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact credibly and diplomatically with all levels in the organization, tailoring communications effectively for different groups and stakeholders; presentation skills to effectively lead and facilitate internal and external meetings;
- Exceptional management skills and a proven track record of building, strengthening, and developing high-performing, collaborative teams that are aligned closely with the business;
- Service-oriented, responsive, advocative, collegial, and committed to excellence;
- Flexibility coupled with creative problem-solving skills, with an ability to move beyond a “one-size-fits-all” mentality;
- High professional and personal ethical standards and integrity;
- Demonstrated success effecting change and prioritizing and effectively executing myriad goals into a unifying message that has measurable impact;
- Outstanding leadership and coaching skills that reflect in successful management of multiple operational functions and a diverse team in a coordinated, collaborative, and efficient manner;
- A mission-driven approach to work that is consistent with the AKF’s culture and core values;
- Energetic and responsive leader with a desire to develop relationships with the executive management and staff;
- Excellent written skills and Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business; an MBA or CPA designation is preferred.
To apply, contact:
JANE S. HOWZE , Managing Director , THE ALEXANDER GROUP
3200 Kirby Drive, Suite 800, Houston, Texas 77098
E [email protected]
SARAH J. MITCHELL , Director, THE ALEXANDER GROUP
207 Second Street, Suite A , Sausalito, California 94965
E [email protected]
Download the PDF description of this position here.