The National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF) is seeking an experienced non-profit Research Director to help move the organization forward with research efforts. NAAF is at an exciting crossroads, with several promising treatments in clinical trials. This presents us with opportunities to be proactive in reaching out to our community to ensure the voice of the patient is incorporated at all stages.
The Research Director provides overall coordination of NAAF’s research and treatment development programs, ensures its initiatives are communicated to primary stakeholders and the community, and serves as the primary liaison with research partners from academia, industry, and government agencies to drive NAAF’s research mission.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Manage end-to-end lifecycle of competitive research grants program. Create and promote requests for applications, develop guidelines/materials, and manage review, scoring and selection process. Administer and monitor award agreements, including progress reporting and payments, for research grants portfolio.
- Plan and execute biennial Alopecia Areata Research Summits including management of all pre-, on-site, and post-conference logistics. Select co-chairs, organize scientific programming, manage speakers, coordinate tasks and timelines, and oversee budgeting.
- Coordinate the publication of Research Summit proceedings in peer-reviewed journal supplement.
- Coordinate and manage activities of the Basic and Clinical Research Advisory Councils. Maintain records including rosters, terms, and minutes.
- Work directly with the Chief Science Officer and manage regular tasks and assignments.
- Support the CEO in coordinating with clinical leadership and third-party vendor(s) to define the Alopecia Areata Registry strategy, providing oversight, integrating the Registry in overall research agenda, and maximizing its value in the drug development process.
- Work closely with the CEO to maintain, enhance, and cultivate relationships with research partners at biopharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, government agencies, and other organizations.
- Attend national/international scientific and medical conferences and assist with planning and coordination of related events (e.g., Research Advisory Council meetings, Industry Partner Program Roundtables, workshops/symposia).
- Organize research sessions for the Annual Patient Conference.
- Track relevant scientific literature and advancements. Engage with community and staff to provide advice and information regarding scientific and research developments.
- Prepare and disseminate research-related updates and announcements for the community (e.g., electronic and print newsletter articles), including interpretation and repackaging of complex scientific information.
- Manage and update research content on website to be informative for all audiences. Responsible for reviewing and periodically updating scientific content related to disease facts and therapeutic pipeline to ensure accuracy.
- Support the CEO and Chief Development Strategist in fund development activities related to research agenda.
- Facilitate delivery of clinical recruitment and related services by reviewing communications, monitoring tasks, and tracking deliverables.
The preferred candidate is a scientifically trained, project management savvy professional who derives satisfaction from working proactively with colleagues to create optimal frameworks and execute the fundamental tasks required for driving complex projects to successful fruition. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in a health-related, social, or behavioral science required, advanced degree a plus.
- 3-plus years of professional experience managing the overall planning, scheduling, and coordination of programs in a research, medical, or related setting.
- Strong understanding of the research process, and ability to critically review scientific literature and communicate about research to varying audiences with different levels of knowledge.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills; effective verbal, non-verbal, and written communication methods as well as reflective listening skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work without close oversight, take initiative, and manage multiple tasks and projects with differing, and at times changing, priorities and timelines.
- Proficient internet research and computer software skills.
NAAF serves the community of people affected by an autoimmune skin disease called alopecia areata that results in hair loss and emotional pain. Our mission is to support research to find a cure or acceptable treatment for alopecia areata, support those with the disease, and educate the public about alopecia areata.
Please send your letter of interest and resume to [email protected] Please include in the subject line of the email: Research Director. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster. Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
NAAF encourages individuals of all racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. NAAF is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.