Request For Proposals: National Health Council 2022-24 Strategic Planning Project
The National Health Council (NHC) is seeking proposals from firms interested in providing a range of consulting services to inform and support the development the NHC’s next three-year strategic plan. This plan is intended to provide a clear, actionable, and measurable path forward that leverages the NHC’s unique composition, expertise and voice to achieve bold and transformative advancement in patient health, health policies, and practices across a truly patient-centered, equitable health eco-system.
View the current strategic plan here.
NHC Mission The mission of the National Health Council is to provide a united voice for the 160 million people living with chronic diseases and disabilities and their family caregivers. NHC Vision We envision a society in which all people have access to quality, affordable health care that respects personal goals and aspirations to promote their best possible health outcomes. NHC Values Integrity, collaboration, and transparency guide all aspects of the National Health Council’s interactions among the diverse sectors of the health community. We are patient-focused and forward-thinking, ever mindful of our mission. Who We Are Created by and for patient organizations 100 years ago, the National Health Council (NHC) is a 501(c)(3) organization that brings diverse organizations together to forge consensus and drive patient-centered health policy. We promote increased access to affordable, high-value, sustainable health care. Made up of more than 140 national health- related organizations and businesses, the NHC’s core membership includes the nation’s leading patient organizations. Other members include health-related associations and nonprofit organizations including the
provider, research, and family caregiver communities; and businesses representing biopharmaceutical, device, diagnostic, generic drug, and payer organizations.
Our website can be found at www.nationalheatlhcouncil.org.
The NHC’s current strategic plan concludes in December 2021. The NHC’s staff and Board are embarking on a full-scale process to establish a strategic plan that will guide the organization from 2022 through 2024. The planning process will also inform priorities and activities in 2021.
The NHC is seeking bids from firms to provide a range of services to inform a thorough assessment of the dynamic environment shaping patient health, health care, policy and practice, and understanding of stakeholder viewpoints and priorities, to enable the NHC to efficiently and effectively navigate the next few years in support of its mission and membership.
Several key steps have been outlined below, however we are also seeking innovative approaches to disrupt/inform our thinking. In addition, we want to partner with a firm that can collect data, and synthesize and offer analysis on what we are hearing. Specifically, we’re looking for the following services:
1. Work with the NHC’s Board Strategic Planning Committee and CEO to define and facilitate the development of a strategic plan for 2022-2024, including participation in monthly meetings and as needed.
2. Query key NHC stakeholders and others in assessing major trends, needs, capabilities, challenges, and opportunities facing patients, the voluntary health sector and the NHC membership; gain insight into perceptions of the NHC. This analysis may include interviews, focus groups, surveys, roundtable discussions, and other strategies that engage:
- Current and former Board members
- Member organization leadership, selected member staff and constituencies
- NHC staff and consultants
- External organizations and experts (e.g., thought leaders, past members, policymakers, funders, associations, and individuals in new and emerging sectors)
3. Conduct a peer benchmarking analysis of other like associations/nonprofits
- Including an analysis of the business model, impact measurement, and identification of opportunities for new revenue generation
4. Conduct a SWOT analysis with the goal to:
- Develop and extract key themes and construct an overall “state of the ecosystem/market” for evidence
- Identification of NHC competitors/obstacles to achieving the mission
5. Conduct a Brand assessment to address:
- Brand attributions
- Market share and competitive position
6. Facilitate a Board of Directors retreat (likely virtual) and summarize retreat discussion
- Retreat slated for August/September 2021
7. Incorporate input from staff and committee on the draft plan as it evolves, including observations about the likely climate and resource requirements for successfully carrying out the plan
8. Prepare a draft, near final and final strategic plan, including proposed metrics to assess annual performance.
- Draft version – August/September 2021
- Near final version – October/November 2021
- Final completion slated for November/early December 2021
9. Assist the Board Committee and staff with preparing presentations to the Executive Committee and Board of Directors
- Executive Committee calls (August and November 2021)
- Board meetings (September and December 2021)
- INFORMATION TO INCLUDE IN THE PROPOSAL
1) Background about the firm, highlighting expertise in the VHA, health, policy fields and with non-profit/association type organizations.
2) Explain how your firm distinguishes itself from other firms, in general, and for this specific engagement.
3) Identify the engagement team and include their qualifications and relevance to this project.
4) Explain your approach and timeline for the engagement.
5) Outline fees for each service and estimated hours per individual/position proposed for the project.
6) Provide three relevant and recent references.
TIMELINE FOR SELECTION
- April 19, 2021 – RFP released
- May 13, 2021 – All proposals are due to the NHC by 5:00 p.m. Please send an electronic version to Brian Harris at [email protected]
- May 10-17, 2021– The NHC team will meet with the top ranked firms; Board Committee will interview finalists for consideration and selection.
- May 24, 2021 – Deadline for Notification of Award
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- 30% – Clarity in proposed approach, including timeline, templates, virtual/in-person tools
- 20% – Innovation in proposed approach – mission-critical stretch goals to blue sky; ability to envision new NHC roles in an evolving health care system.
- 20% – Experience/expertise in providing related services to nonprofit entities similar to the NHC (e.g., VHAs, professional associations, health-care related nonprofits)
- 20% – Qualifications of the team that will support the project, including expertise, experience, and capacity to manage all aspects of facilitation.
- 10% – Clarity and reasonableness of costs in alignment with proposed activities
A copy of the current strategic plan is enclosed.
If you have any questions about this request for proposal, please contact Susan Gaffney, at [email protected]