Patient Community Training on Value Assessment
On Friday, September 6, 2019, the National Health Council convened a training for patients and patient organizations to learn about value assessment. Read the Executive Summary here.
Watch interviews with speakers here.
Below are direct links to each video:
- Cat Davis Ahmed, MBA, The FH Foundation
- Brandi Akins, Patient Advocate
- Julie Block, National Eczema Association
- Jennifer Bright, MPA, Innovation and Value Initiative
- Sarah Emond, MPP, Institute for Clinical and Economic Review
- Leah Howard, JD, National Psoriasis Foundation
- Anna Hyde, MA, Arthritis Foundation
- Annie Kennedy, Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy
- Joey Mattingly, PharmD, MBA, PhD, University of Maryland
- Kenny Mendez, MBA, Asthma and Allergy Foundation
- John R. Miller, MidAtlantic Business Group on Health
- Elisabeth Oehrlein, PhD, MS, National Health Council
- Eleanor Perfetto, PhD, MS, National Health Council
- Leslie Ritter, MA, National MS Society
- Alyssa Schatz, MSW, National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- Surya Singh, MD, Singh Healthcare Advisors
- Bari Talente, JD, National MS Society
Disclaimer: The views presented in this report are solely the responsibility of the speakers and do not necessarily represent the views of the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute® (PCORI®), its Board of Governors, or Methodology Committee.
Meeting format: Day-long conference
Objective for the day: Introduce staff and members of patient and community organizations to value assessment in the US with emphasis on inclusion of the patient voice and use of findings. Introductory and intermediate training was offered.
Attendees learned how to:
- Explain important terms related to value assessment
- Identify the role and impact of value assessment in the US healthcare system
- Describe opportunities for patient engagement in value assessment
- Identify value assessment resources for patient groups to become engaged
- Communicate the importance of patient engagement in value assessment to others within their organization
|8:30-9:00 a.m.||Registration and Continental Breakfast|
|Welcome and Overview
View the slides.
|9:30-10:00 a.m.||A Primer on Value Assessment and the Lingo
|10:00-10:45 a.m.||Case Studies of Patient Involvement in Value AssessmentModerator: Eleanor Perfetto, PhD, MS, Executive Vice President, Strategic Initiatives, National Health Council
|11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.||The Role of Value Assessment in Payer Decision-MakingModerator: Eric Gascho, Vice President, Policy & Government Affairs, National Health Council
Keynote: My Experience Participating in a Value Assessment
|1:25-2:20 p.m.||Breakout Group 1, Part 1: Organizations New to Value Assessment
What Does a Value Assessment Actually Look Like and How Can I Engage?
Moderator: Eleanor Perfetto, PhD, MS, Executive Vice President, Strategic Initiatives, National Health Council
|Breakout Group 2, Part 1: Organizations Who Have Been through Value Assessment
Objective: To create a list of common issues and/or questions organizations have faced and how they dealt with them to be a resource for the organizations who have not been through the process beforeDiscussion leaders:
|2:30-3:15 p.m.||Breakout Group 1, Part 2: Organizations New to Value AssessmentAn Introduction to Resources
||Breakout Group 2, Part 2: Organizations Who Have Been through Value AssessmentsObjective: To create a list of common issues and/or questions organizations have faced and how they dealt with them to be a resource for the organizations who have not been through the process beforeDiscussion leaders:
|3:25-4:20 p.m.||Communicating the Importance of Engagement in Value Assessment to your Board, Staff, and Constituents
|4:20-4:30 p.m.||Wrap Up|