The National Psoriasis Foundation (NPF) is a dynamic and growing non-profit organization dedicated to research, advocacy, and patient and medical education as we work toward a cure for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and support those impacted by psoriatic disease. Headquartered in Portland, OR, the NPF is seeking an experienced Grassroots and Advocacy Manager to work in our Alexandria, VA office.
The Grassroots and Advocacy Manager is responsible for managing advocate communications, recruitment, and training through advocate outreach and material development. This role will design and implement advocate recruitment strategies with a focus on target states and districts as identified by state and federal government relations staff. The Grassroots and Advocacy Manager plays a key role in elevating the patient voice by identifying and developing volunteers with personal stories.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Manage and grow the network of grassroots advocates across the country:
- Build, nurture, and maintain relationships with incoming advocates.
- Oversee day-to-day management of outreach to volunteers through email advocacy campaigns and personal outreach to volunteers.
- Develop and implement strategies to recruit new advocates, utilizing email and social media, with a focus on target states and districts.
- Manage volunteer network, including hosting after hour meetings, recruiting new members, and maintaining communications with current members.
- Assist with planning of the annual Capitol Hill Day, including identifying advocates to attend Capitol Hill Day, creating advocate training materials, and assisting with preparation for training webinar/dinner.
- Assist with planning for state lobby days and training calls/webinars with a focus on driving up event attendance, including promotion through email, social media, and other NPF programs, advocate recruitment and training, and development of training materials.
- Collaborate with federal and state staff to conduct policy research at the request of the VP of Government Relations and Advocacy.
- Bachelor’s degree with three years or more of related experience, preferably in patient advocacy and grassroots outreach
- Ability to leverage data to discover leads for new advocates and track success of recruitment efforts (experience with advocacy platforms such as VoterVoice is a plus)
- Experience assisting individuals in writing personal stories about potentially sensitive subjects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills required
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple projects
- Patience, tolerance, diplomacy and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Self-motivated, diplomatic, tactful
- Ability to keep sensitive information confidential