The Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation is a non-profit, volunteer-fueled organization focused on medical research, patient support, and advocacy for inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). The mission of the Foundation is to cure Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, and improve the quality of life for the children and adults affected by these diseases. Our work is dramatically accelerating the research process through our database and investment initiatives; we also provide extensive educational resources for patients and their families, medical professionals, and the public. In addition, we lead federal and state-based advocacy campaigns to support medical research funding and improve patient access to care. The Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation’s core values of compassion, integrity, leadership, collaboration, and inclusion inspire and drive every member of our highly performing team.
The Associate Director, State Advocacy is responsible for leading the development and implementation of the Foundation’s state advocacy strategy. They will proactively manage targeted state advocacy campaigns aligned with the Foundation’s priorities of addressing patient access to care, the high cost of care, and other initiatives. In addition, the Associate Director will collaborate with the Director of Advocacy to further train and activate the Foundation’s volunteer advocates in state advocacy. To implement these responsibilities, the Manager will work closely with the Executive VP of Education, Support, & Advocacy; the Director of Advocacy; the Community Engagement team; and chapter staff.
Principal Duties And Responsibilities
- Develop and oversee the delivery of metrics for state-based advocacy identified by the strategic plan.
- Work with local staff, volunteers, and consultants to:
- Implement multiple state-based advocacy campaigns.
- Lobby state legislatures and governments.
- Train local staff and volunteers on state priorities and how to be an advocate.
- Place local media stories and op-eds to support state campaigns in tandem with the Marketing Department.
- Assess and report on the impact of successful policy change on the IBD community.
- Lead Foundation staff, volunteers, and other stakeholders to develop a vision and long range strategy around state-based advocacy to improve patient access to care.
- Monitor state legislation in identified markets.
- Actively monitor, analyze, and work closely with the VP and Director to address public policy decisions impacting the IBD community in designated states.
- Submit grants to ensure financial support state-based advocacy efforts.
- Maintain the Foundation’s leadership and participation in relevant coalitions.
- Support the Grassroots Advocacy Manager in tracking and communicating the Foundation’s activities to our volunteers, chapters, and other stakeholders.
- Create multi-channel education and communication tools to support state advocacy initiatives.
- BA/BS degree in Public Policy, Political Science or Public Health or equivalent experience required.
- Master’s degree preferred in Public Policy, Public Health, or other relevant degree.
- Previous experience working on state-based advocacy.
- 5+ years of experience working with state agencies and/or legislators.
- Experience with health-related government programs.
- Demonstrated volunteer management and leadership experience.
- Public policy experience including policy statement development, research, and communications.
- Grant writing experience including government, foundation, and/or pharmaceutical experience.
- Self-motivated, results oriented, proactive, dynamic leader with strong organizational skills and strategic thinking.
- An effective written and verbal communicator.
- Must have computer literacy in constituent management software including VoterVoice, Blackbaud, Convio, website data management, and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint).
- Must be able to drive and travel.