Harold Wimmer is the National President and CEO of the American Lung Association, carrying out the strategic framework and policies established by the National Volunteer Board of Directors. Fostering a culture of innovation and a distinct mission-first approach, Wimmer directs the executive operations of the Association to deliver high impact services and initiatives to improve the lung health of Americans and prevent lung disease.
Wimmer has dedicated his life to improving the lung health of all Americans. His work with the American Lung Association began in 1978, and he became National President and CEO in February 2013. The organization serves as the nation’s premier resource for lung health, and under his leadership has evolved to meet emerging, urgent lung health issues facing Americans today:
- Launching the COVID-19 Action Initiative, a $25M investment to end COVID-19 and defend against future respiratory virus pandemics. As a committed partner in the global effort to end COVID-19, this investment is an indication of the organization’s deepening commitment to championing lung health.
- Improving the lives of all those living with lung disease by accelerating groundbreaking research and doubling our research investment
- Increasing awareness of lung cancer and the new availability of lifesaving screening to ensure more eligible Americans are screened
- Addressing and reducing the youth e-cigarette epidemic
- Advocating to reduce air pollution and address climate change in part by increasing the use of renewable energy sources and zero- and low-emission hybrid vehicles.
Prior to leading the nationwide organization, Wimmer served in key executive positions in the American Lung Association in Illinois and the American Lung Association of the Upper Midwest. Earning a B.S. in Community Health and an M.S. in Health Administration & Policy from the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, he has been an active alumni member at U of I, serving on the Applied Health Sciences Alumni Board. Wimmer received the 2008 Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Illinois, College of Applied Health Sciences.
Click here to visit their website.