New Video Series: Are You at Higher Risk for COVID-19?
By: Jennifer Schleman, Senior Vice President, Communications & Governance
Today, the National Health Council (NHC) announced a new digital video series that features discussions with prominent health care experts and advocates about the importance of measuring and reducing personal risk associated with COVID-19.
The series, developed with support from Pfizer, focuses on four patient populations – those who may experience more severe COVID-19 outcomes such as older adults, those with cardiometabolic conditions, and the immunocompromised, along with the unique issues women often face as caregivers and in other roles.
Titled “Conversations with Trusted Messengers,” the series aims to raise awareness and understanding of risk and how to reduce it with guidance from leaders in each of the four focus areas. The series’ common theme: understand your personal risk factors, talk to your health care provider, and make a plan in case you contract COVID-19.
“We know a great deal more about COVID-19 today than we did three years ago,” said Randy Rutta, CEO of the NHC and host of the video series’ interviews and discussions. “With this knowledge, it is important that patients have reliable sources they can turn to for answers about specific COVID-19 concerns. We’re grateful to the group of experts and thought leaders who came together to share their guidance and insights as we approach the Fall season.”
Participants in the Trusted Messengers video series include:
- Joe Nadglowski, President & CEO, Obesity Action Coalition
- Helen Jenkins, RN, MSN, CDCES, American Diabetes Association
- Stephanie Quinn, Senior Vice President of Advocacy, Practice Advancement and Policy, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Sue Peschin, President & CEO, Alliance for Aging Research
- Kathleen Cameron, Senior Director, Center for Healthy Aging, National Council on Aging
- Karyne Jones, President & CEO, National Caucus and Center on Black Aging
- Lynn Albizo, Vice President of Public Policy, Immune Deficiency Foundation
- Molly Murray, President & CEO, Autoimmune Association
- Harold Wimmer, National President & CEO, American Lung Association
- Beth Battaglino, RN, CEO, HealthyWomen
- Susan Winckler, CEO, Reagan-Udall Foundation for the FDA
The video series will be accessible on a dedicated page on the NHC’s website, as well as through core social media platforms. The first segment, focused on COVID-19 and cardiometabolic conditions, is now live and the additional segments will be posted in the coming weeks.
Beyond the four focus areas, the series aims to answer general questions about COVID-19 infection, prevention, and treatments, as well advice on how to connect with your health care provider, and the disproportionate impacts felt by underserved communities throughout the pandemic and beyond. As such, the Trusted Messengers video series is suitable for many audiences, and the NHC will continue to promote new content as it becomes available online.