The National Health Council is made up of more than 140 national health-related organizations, divided into five membership categories:
- Voluntary Health Agencies (also known as patient advocacy organizations)
- Professional and Membership Associations
- Nonprofit Organizations with an Interest in Health
- Business and Industry
- Associate Members
To be eligible for membership in the National Health Council, all organizations must meet the following criteria:
- The organization is national in scope.
- The organization has been in operation for more than three years.